Old December 15th 07, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mephisto

Default Nvidia 8800GT/GTS

"Augustus" wrote in message
I own the factory overclock version of this card with the usual 8800GT
shrouded cooling. The DDR3 is clocked at 2000Mhz vs 1800 on yours. The
shader and GPU clocks are identical. The problem with your version of the
card is that while there's excellent heatpipe/fan cooling of the GPU,
there's basically no directed decent cooling of the ram, not even
ramsinks. On the typical 8800GT, the ram is cooled by the shrouded casing,
metal airflow channels and albeit noisy fan. From my experience, and
others that I've read, it's the ram that causes most issues.

Yea, but they fail because they push the ram past a stable clock speed. I
had to RMA 7900GT twice thanks to factory overclcocking of the ram. Ram
doesn't really need heatsinks IMO. I have no heatsinks on my system ram
either. No issues with system ram or this video card. If it turns out that
it ever did need heatsinks then I can pick up a pack for ten bucks. I read
an article a few years back that claimed heat spreaders on ram actually act
as heat insulators instead of helping to dissipate heat. Like I said,
3DMark06 Deep Freeze bench will show up any ram isssues quite quickly and it
ran flawlessly. I give this Galaxy 8800GT with the really nice and quiet HSF
my seal of approval.