Old December 15th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Default Nvidia 8800GT/GTS

I just installed the above card in my PC about two hours ago. Tested with
3DMark06 and no issues at all. Usually a card will fail Deep Freeze
benchmark in 3DMark06 if it is flaky at all. Benefit of this card is that
it is not factory overclocked (had to RMA 7900GT KO twice to EVGA because
of their bull**** factory overclocking) and comes with a much better HSF
than they put on the other cards. This is a heatpipe cooler which is very
good because quite a few people have had issues with heat on the 8800GT's.
They used a fan that was too small for this class of card IMO. New stock
of 8800GT's have better fans but still not as good as this one. If I want
to overclcock the card then I am quite capable of doing it myself so won't
be buying any more overclocked video cards. EVGA eventually sent me a
7950GX2 and even that card seems to have an issue where the screen gets
scrambled at the end of the driver install (is ok after a hard restet
though) and my monitor won't detect the card when I use it over dual link
DVI-D. New 8800GT works fine over DVI-D. EVGA is about to be getting a new
email from me reaming them out once again. That will be three RMA's over
one effing card! Ridiculous.

I own the factory overclock version of this card with the usual 8800GT
shrouded cooling. The DDR3 is clocked at 2000Mhz vs 1800 on yours. The
shader and GPU clocks are identical. The problem with your version of the
card is that while there's excellent heatpipe/fan cooling of the GPU,
there's basically no directed decent cooling of the ram, not even ramsinks.
On the typical 8800GT, the ram is cooled by the shrouded casing, metal
airflow channels and albeit noisy fan. From my experience, and others that
I've read, it's the ram that causes most issues. My card never faltered once
in multiple runs of 3DMark06 1.1 and others. It locked up in F.E.A.R and
F.E.A.R Extraction point after 2-5 minutes with the typical screenful of red
artifacts which are indicative of overheated and pushed DDR3, while it could
play endlessly in Bioshock, Crysis and others. Partly this was the fan not
ramping up, but even with it set to 100% manually it was still an issue
within less than 10 min in that game.
I rewrote the BIOS of my Galaxy OC 8800GT (using NiBiTor) from
600/1500/2000 clockings to 675/1600/1900 clocks, while setting the fan at
35% idle to 75% in 3D. Noise isn't an issue now, I don't have to use
Rivatuner, and it's never once locked up in F.E.A.R. in over 2 days on hours
at a time playing. 100% stable. Benches a bit faster now. Far as I can tell,
the real issue with these cards is the memory overclock causing heat an
instability issues. Pretty sure the GTX and Ultra versions use a higher
quality, higher binned DDR along with the different core.