Old January 8th 04, 06:58 PM
Tim Shoppa

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
The real issue is whether the Itanium port has been done competently,
or by simply spawning off another completely unportable code stream.

Historically Microsoft *seems* to have always chosen to "spawn off
an incompatible branch". All their products have to have a unique
set of features, the concept of having identical functionality across
different platforms is always broken. (They do seem to have
some grasp of "core" vs "extra" functionality.)

I happen to believe that these decisions are usually driven by marketing,
and not by any technical inability inside Microsoft, although I could be
wrong. Clearly the lack of uniformity has great costs inside Microsft's
development and support organizations; I can only assume that somehow
this is made up for in extra sales. Probably in the same way that
each toothpaste company now has twenty different variations ("shelf
space").

Tim.