Old November 27th 16, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Default Writing to 2 new PNY 64 GB Turbo USB 3.0 flash drives get very slow & pause?

In alt.comp.os.windows-10 Paul wrote:
Ant wrote:
Hello.

Why does writing 4,189 small files, from a downloaded and extracted
http://repo.steampowered.com/downloa...SInstaller.zip from
http://store.steampowered.com/steamo...ad/?ver=custom on a SATA
HDD, to a new PNY 64 GB Turbo USB 3.0 Flash Drive (formatted as exFAT)
get really slow and even pause sometimes in my few months old work's
Lenovo Thinkpad P50's laptop/notebook's updated Windows 10 EE? This is
with a USB3 port too. http://i.imgur.com/7sLhDRg.jpg for a screen
capture/shot of W10's Resource Monitor in action with 0 bytes/s with
another SAME drive model.

Thank you in advance.

There is the RAW partition bug. Maybe this is a manifestation
of something related ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...update_tanked/

If you rolled back to pre-Anniversary-Edition (10586)
this would stop.

I don't have that update since IT is still testing it and not ready to
deploy.

A patch was issued, but it didn't seem to
solve the problem for everyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...866_kb3185614/

"Two causes, one fixed and the other still being worked on."

It appears Reddit threads are a more reliable source
of information, than the support.microsoft.com pages
that describe what comes in an update. The Update details
make no mention of USB disk issues.

So it seems Microsoft knows something is broken,
but admitting it would help. If there was a temporary
workaround, they would make more friends than they
would get by just leaving it broken.

*******

I would try "Optimize for Quick Removal" and re-test.
I have no idea whether that would help. That might
take the system write cache out of the path.

That didn't seem to make any differences for me.

Another way to get the files onto the USB stick, would
be to create a partition on a regular hard drive,
copy the Steam files onto that partition, then use
Macrium Reflect Free to "clone" the partition over
to the USB stick. Just for fun of course... :-)
An operation like that might be done at a block
level rather than a file level.

Uh, I just wanted to copy files.
--
Quote of the Week: "Any spoke will lead the ant to the hub." --unknown
| |o o| |