Old April 5th 09, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
someone_else

Default Laptop boots to blank screen

"someone_else" wrote in
message ...
Hi all,
I received a laptop to fix today .. It behaves like it is overheating but
I'm not sure.

When the power button is pressed the laptop fan whirs for about 2 seconds
and then nothing happens the screen is left blank, no further activity.

If I pull the power cable out, push it back in, then press the power
button the same thing happens,

However if I power down by holding the power button for 7 seconds (leaving
the power cable attached); the fan whirrs for 2 seconds as before, but
then the laptop appears to cut the power (as if it is overheating) ...
then 2 seconds later the fan whirrs on as if the laptop is rebooting.
Nothing appears on the screen ..

I did manage to boot as far as the windows logo by leaving the laptop in
a cold room for an hour and then trying.

So you see why it points to overheating .. but on the other hand when I
feel the heatsink with my finger it does not feel too hot at all! (I had
another laptop overheat, and it felt hot alright)

any ideas?

I should add I tried the laptop with the hard drive out, then with the
memory out, I also tested it with the battery and had the same results. ( I
had to remove it when the laptop would not shut down during the endless
rebooting)

Could it be a problem with the GPU heatsink? (I've only been looking at the
CPU heatsink) I'm not sure where on this thing the GPU heatsink is. (it's a
Packard bell Easynote)

The other thing I considered .. maybe there's a voltage problem on some
component . but I don't know where to start looking ..