Old November 25th 05, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default USB...water...short...Help

Well this is a question I have about usb and water.
The company I work for just bought a new Waterjet machine (it use's
water and garnet to cut pretty much anything up to 9 inchs thick in a
tank full of water).
It is computer controled and use's a waterproof keyboard to move the
"head" to a location of your chosing. The machine can cut a sheet of
steel 80" by 160" and some times there is a need to "reach" the other
end away from the keyboard. The company that makes the machine offers a
"remote" keypad for $500. Well, it's a steel box with a waterproof
numaric keypad bolted in it and uses a usb extention cable to conect to
the pc.

OK that said.

1. Does anyone know of a "standard" waterproof numeric usb keyboard?
(i've googled all over and no luck)
2. If a non waterproof keyboard "shorted" would it trash the
computer?(well that would just be a very bad thing)
3. Is there such a thing as a "fused" usb cable,adapter or hub?(going
with the idea of using a non waterproof keypad and if it did "short"
the "fused" part would keep the computer safe)
4. uh....anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks for the help
Steve