Old March 26th 16, 05:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Brown[_4_]

Default "automotive grade" hard drives

On 26/03/16 15:56, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 19:50:28 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

We have specialty AV, NAS drives et cetera. I see Toshiba has automotive
disks. The maximum capacity is 320 GB, so I presume these trade off
density to cope with operating in a moving car.
But would not SSD be better for this?

Vehicles have an expected life of 7-12 years, or more.
What is the expected life of an SSD? How is an SSD typically used?
Automotive HDDs rewrite over the disks many times. What happens to a
SSD when its memory is rewritten many times?

The SSD will continue to work fine. It is a /long/ time since write
endurance for SSD's has been relevant for anything other than the
smallest and cheapest devices. There are other failure modes that are
relevant for SSD's, especially if the device is at high temperatures or
wide temperature swings, but you will not manage to wear it out by
writing to it.