Old June 24th 08, 06:30 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Chandan

Default Snapshot of filesystems having containing media files

On Jun 20, 7:21 pm, nik Simpson wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Hi,

I have a filesystem containing many media files such as JPEG, TIFF,
AVI in the mix. Some of these files are heavily edited by users. So,
if I configure hourly snapshots on this filesystem, these files end up
consuming a lot of snapshot space. Now, if I do not configure hourly
snapshots, I am increasing the window of vulnerability for data loss
for the non media files in the filesystem.

One solution that I can think of is to move the media files over to a
new filesystem and not configure hourly snapshots on it. This will
reduce spapshot disk space consumption.

Does anyone have some other interesting way to fix this problem ?

Might help if you described the environment a little more, i.e. storage
vendors, whose snapshot are you using etc. Some snapshots are more
inefficient than others.

I am using NetApp.

--
Nik Simpson