Old August 31st 18, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default [OT]idle curiosity - why internal HD rather than external HD

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 14:31:20 -0300, Shadow wrote:

Same reason I seldom use two pairs

Same here. They tend to fall off my nose, or worse, one slides
down and blocks the other. One pair is enough.

I've your basic reference - the typically conspicuous 'flat response'
for naturalism among dynamics and frequency, the industry offers among
several medium-high ratings for headphones.

Not exorbitantly priced, as audio mark-ups notoriously are, but
neither especially significant when watchful for a decent sale
discount.

And then I've some very unusually engineered Sony drivers. They're
from many years ago, away down from pro-grade models, and the
headphones since have fallen into pieces;- the actual drivers are
engaging, and I resoldered and mounted them into more stably rigged
headphone encasing, from an offbrand, replacing the drivers with the
Sony's.

Those drivers, for all their obvious budgetary constraints, have a
different emphasis on frequencies and dynamics, a bit livelier in
presence and reviewed reception;- Sony can get away with that: Sony
has more of their premier headphone models in more studio recording
facilities than most.

The Grados, all the way regarded for prosumer, for me, turned into
crap, totally, when one of the drivers irreparably failed. Also
"flatliners", generally for middle of the pack, but with a slight bass
kick. Intended and noted for their comfort level for wearing,
otherwise to be base appeal on WWII aeronautical, or general military
designs employed from the era.

Where it gets utterly stark crazy, is in miniaturisation available
from technology today. The inner-ear cringe chamber fit of highend
and very expensive drivers, say, used by members in exclusive New York
City health clubs. Never mind the $400 monthly gym membership fees.
Whilst privately listening to music -- sweating like a pig from
pulling a 450lb. deadlift off the floor is for the gymrats a block or
two over, a basement so-styled "dungeon", piping-hot with Nine Inch
Nails through ceiling-mounted speakers -- the cost of elite skullcans
is, whatsoever without doubt, inestimably the inconsiderate viewpoint.