Old May 2nd 20, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Frank Slootweg

Default Why is this folder so slow?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 5/1/2020 1:52 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
I can - sort of - understand that, but because these 580,000 were
giving you so much hardship, I would have expected you to look at a
few of them, see that they were just News articles and take it from
there, i.e. set/lower the News retention settings in Thunderbird.

No, I knew those were the message files, considering that there were so
many of them, what else could they have been? But often there are other
files interspersed among them, that can often go overlooked because it's
overwhelmed by the mass of all of the main files. Just let the backup
software handle backing all of it up.

Yes, but "Just let the backup software handle backing all of it up."
was the *problem* which made you start this thread! You can't have it
both ways, it either was a problem/annoyance/whatever, or it wasn't!

As to "But often there are other files interspersed among them, that
can often go overlooked because it's overwhelmed by the mass of all of
the main files.", I didn't say to bluntly clobber all the *files*/
*folders*, but to set/lower the News retention settings in Thunderbird.
I.e. let *Thunderbird* do it *safely*, instead of you doing it
(possibly) unsafely.

You *do* know how to set/lower the News retention settings in
Thunderbird, don't you!? (You snipped my other comments about that, so I
don't know if you've set/lowered them now.)