Old August 20th 07, 07:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Barry Watzman

Default Real-world ink longevity test

One of the problems with "aftermarket inks" is that you can't make any
statements about them. There are so many of them, and they are so
different (from as good as (perhaps in a few cases even better than) OEM
to pure junk) that no meaningful statement applies to all of them. So
you can't really say something like "tests ... would have you believe
that aftermarket ink starts fading practically before it finishes
drying. Nothing could be further from the truth." That may be a true
statement for the particular aftermarket ink that you used, but it's
definitely not true of all aftermarket inks. And therein likes one of
the problems: You don't know what you are getting or what it's
characteristics are.

TJ wrote:
I printed a copy of a one-page magazine article about my father for his
funeral 13 months ago. The article included both text and a color photo.
I used an HP PSC 2110 printer, Kodak Premium Picture Paper, and HP ink
cartridges that I had refilled numerous times with aftermarket ink.
Since the funeral, the print has been hanging on our living room wall,
framed in a dollar store frame and behind glass. While it is a bright
room, the spot where the print hangs does not receive direct sunlight at
any time.

So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print looks
as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully expect it to
look good for years to come.

Accelerated tests of the type done by many labs and/or magazines would
have you believe that aftermarket ink starts fading practically before
it finishes drying. Nothing could be further from the truth. With just a
moderate amount of care, aftermarket ink can last a good, long, time.
With poor care, even OEM ink will fade quickly.

TJ