Old August 20th 07, 06:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Real-world ink longevity test

Michael Johnson wrote:
DK wrote:
Michael Johnson wrote:
DK wrote:
TJ wrote:
I printed a copy of a one-page magazine article about my father
for his funeral 13 months ago. The article included both text and
a color photo. I used an HP PSC 2110 printer, Kodak Premium
Picture Paper, and HP ink cartridges that I had refilled numerous
times with aftermarket ink. Since the funeral, the print has been
hanging on our living room wall, framed in a dollar store frame
and behind glass. While it is a bright room, the spot where the
print hangs does not receive direct sunlight at any time.

So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print
looks as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully
expect it to look good for years to come.

Accelerated tests of the type done by many labs and/or magazines
would have you believe that aftermarket ink starts fading
practically before it finishes drying. Nothing could be further
from the truth. With just a moderate amount of care, aftermarket
ink can last a good, long, time. With poor care, even OEM ink will
fade quickly.
Of course it is OK after a year - it is under glass! Not that there
is anyhting wrong with refilling but thus far every single test I
am aware of has been pretty unequivocal: aftermarket inks fade
faster, sometimes a lot faster, than OEM from reputable vendors
(Epson, Canon).
Every single print I have produced using after market ink has not
faded at all. Now I don't store them on the dash board of my truck
but I also don't hermetically seal them either. The problem with
the tests I have reviewed is they usually don't test the better
after market inks. Also, many of these tests are done to have a
predetermined outcome which is why they use the more inferior after
market inks to test against the OEM inks.

Not true when it comes to nifty-stuff.com user tests.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/docs/inkjet-fading.php
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/docs/inkjet-fading1.php

I didn't say all tests were bad just most of them. Any test of
anything printed in a magazine is subject to scrutiny, IMO.

Besides, if I ever do have a print that fades then all I need to do
is print another one. I am willing to get 95%+ of durability of OEM
ink to save 85% of its cost. A good trade, IMO.

Totally agree. That's why I refill, too. But the fact remains - for
some reason imitators thus far can never get it right.

I can only go on what my own personal experience is with after market
ink that I actually use. I have never had a print that faded. Maybe
I would if I kept them in a different environment. Also, any prints I
make have a digital copy on hard drive and DVD backups which never
degrade.

It is very obvious that you are totally misinformed. DVD, CD, and any
other electronic media degrades over time. The dye on this media does
degrade and every 5 to 10 years it is pudent to recopy and thing that
has worth. Maybe you say this because nothing you have has any worth.
I do not know. But do not post this misinformation. Do some research
on Google and you will find these facts out.
Fading just isn't an issue for me and I am probably no different than
95% of the population. The touting of longevity is more for marketing
bragging rights than real world usefulness for the at home inkjet
printer user, IMO.