Old August 20th 07, 06:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Real-world ink longevity test

NotMe wrote:
"DK" wrote in message
| TJ wrote:

| I printed a copy of a one-page magazine article about my father for his
| funeral 13 months ago. The article included both text and a color photo.
| I used an HP PSC 2110 printer, Kodak Premium Picture Paper, and HP ink
| cartridges that I had refilled numerous times with aftermarket ink.
| Since the funeral, the print has been hanging on our living room wall,
| framed in a dollar store frame and behind glass. While it is a bright
| room, the spot where the print hangs does not receive direct sunlight at
| any time.
|
| So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print looks
| as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully expect it to
| look good for years to come.
|
| Accelerated tests of the type done by many labs and/or magazines would
| have you believe that aftermarket ink starts fading practically before
| it finishes drying. Nothing could be further from the truth. With just a
| moderate amount of care, aftermarket ink can last a good, long, time.
| With poor care, even OEM ink will fade quickly.
|
| Of course it is OK after a year - it is under glass! Not that there is
| anything wrong with refilling but thus far every single test I am aware
| of has been pretty unequivocal: aftermarket inks fade faster,
| sometimes a lot faster, than OEM from reputable vendors (Epson,
| Canon).

I would question the test. Recall that the tobacco companies published
studies out the kazoo that smoking was not harmful.
They even had physicians offering personal endorsements.

FWIW even hand painted oils deteriorate, the rate depends on the more on the
environment and care than on the materials used.

Sounds like you are concerned that aftermarket ink will give you cancer
if you smoke it.