Old January 8th 04, 08:09 PM
The Black Wibble

"Ken Fox" wrote in message
"Alex" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:16:36 -0700, "Ken Fox"
wrote:

Hi Alex and Tony,

(and everyone else -- the problem persists!),

I left the machine on last night as I was downloading a large file and that
was working. When I came back this morning the machine seemed to function
normally, e.g. no delays for disk accesses. Although the bios was basically
set for bios defaults anyway, I rebooted and went into the bios setting bios
defaults. Since I'm not booting to one of the primary or secondary ide
devices (I've gone back to booting from the SATA drive since the primary IDE
drive boots had the same problem), I had to correct the boot order after it
rebooted and defaults led the bios to an unbootable drive. After booting
back up the problems recurred, e.g. the machine has great difficulty
locating drives, all drives, be they floppy, CD, hard, whatever. When going
into Windows Explorer, it either takes 20 seconds to get the drop down
dialog window or the program (windows explorer) crashes altogether
sometimes. Occasionally the disk accesses work normally and quickly.

I will reboot into safe mode and see if the problems go away; if they do,
Alex, what is the next step? Reloading NIC drivers, assuming the NIC
portion of the board is dead and needs an RMA, what should I do?

Thanks in advance for all responses. I'll try rebooting now into safe mode
and see if it works. I would have tried that before posting this but I
can't tell if each reboot might end up being the last one for this box, and
if it is I'll have to get my notebook up and running later today ----

rgds,

What I find strange is that you had the same delays in opening files even after going back to the original
120GB EIDE drive and BIOS. Assuming at that time you detached the USB drive and the 160GB SATA, was the
jumper setting on the 120GB EIDE drive and its position on along the IDE cable the same as before? I can't
think what else the cause might be.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)