Old January 12th 20, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default How to copy Windows 10 x86 in VMDK file to USB Drive/Stick ?

For backup AND restore purposes compressed archives are horrible, VMDK could be a compressed archive and is therefore horrible to restore, slow and needs presumeable needs special software to decode it's file format.

This guy has an idea though:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/3249...hysical-system

First convert the VMDK to a "raw" format like IMG.

So this could be a first good step to convert this VMDK mess into something which might burn a bit easier.

I think I did have a tool for VHD to IMG. But VMDK to IMG might be a different story.

So I will try to find a tool like this, don't hesitate to mention it if you know one too, in case I don't find it =D

And then I will still need an IMG to DISK cloning tool or something.

IMG could be tested in PCem but I doubt it can run windows 10, but who knows lol.

Maybe also other VM tools might be able to run IMG... not sure...

I dont care about compression, I rather work with raw images files for Virtualization, I am finding these VHD and VMDK files to be more trouble then worth it, costing me HUGE ammount of time trying to work around there ****ty file formats.

Hope VM guys see this and abadon VMDK and VHD completely for something that is easier to burn but for now VHD works nicely in Windows... Maybe windows needs to start using something more RAW too, and maybe a descriptor file like VMDK uses, but for gods sakes no compression.

It's hard enough already as it is ! Don't bring back bad memories of ghost explorer or something... with compression 1 bit error and all data is lost, with raw... maybe you be lucky and it was 1 bit error in free space.

Bye,
Skybuck.