Old September 6th 07, 02:59 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
News Reader

Default Ink Jet cartridges - good service

"Robert Harvey" wrote in message
news
I have a Lexmark P6350 printer/scanner and it announced that the colour
cartridge was empty - I thought that odd because I had only printed
photos, and the manual implies that the "photo" cartridge is used for
that and the "colour" one for documents. Turns out to be untrue - the
"photo" inks are used to suppliment the "colour" inks for photos, making
it a pseudo 6-colour printer.

But anyway, I needed a cartridge and I live out in the sticks. I was
ordering paper and the like so I ordered the cartridge(s) too, from
Viking Direct. They deliver from Leicster. I called in my order at
17:00 and the van was here at 11:00 the next day. Brilliant.

Unbrilliant. It was the wrong LetsMug cartridge, a "Photo" one. I
called up, and the van came the next day with one cartridge Excellent.
I had asked if they wanted the other one back, but no. They said I could
keep it for later.

Unexcellent. I put the cartrdridge in the printer, which said "error
1203". I put back the old one, no error, just an empty cartridge. I
called up again, and the van came yesterday with another cartridge. I
asked if they needed the duff one back but they said no, just bin it.

It now works fine. I have paid £17 for a cartridge, but it has cost
Viking 3 cartridges and two extra trips in the van - which they have been
quite happy to pay for. (OK, I am sure the van went a few other places
too!)

A few years ago I had a box of paper sent, and it was the wrong sort.
When I called them up the following morning they called the van back to
the depot to get the replacement so I would not have to wait an extra day
to correct the problem.

Viking made their name world-wide by snail-spamming with catalogues and
sales, but also by superb after-sales service. And by putting the bos,
Irwin Helford, on every page (http://www.myspace.com/irwinhelford). But
a couple of years ago they were taken over by Office Depot, who have done
nothing to damage the reputation for looking after people.

I have never had to wait on the phone, and on this occasion there were no
quibbles, and they took it for granted I knew what I was talking about
when I called. The whole thing was dealt with with a minium of fuss,
they didn't ask for invoice numbers or packing slip details, just my post
code.

I suspect I could have got the cartridge, or the paper, a penny or two
cheaper. But the brilliant customer service more than makes up for it.

Well done, Viking Direct. I will keep throwing the catalogues in the
recycling, mind....
--
Bob Harvey OETKB

Hi,

(Same as you.. I believe!...) Never been anything but impressed by Viking
Direct.

Best wishes,

News Reader