Old November 11th 08, 01:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Floppy drive won't recognise disks - help?

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

Maybe it's me, but it is far easier to replace a floppy
drive than to disassemble it. Cleaning out dust and
dirt inside a floppy drive sometimes works, too...
Ben Myers

I get the feeling you handle a lot more computer equipment than I
do. :-)

It depends upon what day of the week it is--bright and early on a
Monday morning (maybe) I'm much more inclined to crack open a drive
and work on it. On Friday afternoon, probably not so much.

I'm also inclined to do what I can to keep things out of the
Dumpster...my "other job" *is* dumpster diving and trashpicking.

William

You're right. I have a few Compaq floppy drives here without bezels and
with the rounded eject button. It is interesting that Compaq assigned
different part numbers to floppys that were 100% physically compatible
across many product lines and over a span of years. Interesting, but
stupid inventory management. Of course, when a know-nothing corporate
procurement manager wants a specific part number, an identical
substitute will never do. Equally stupid... Ben Myers