Old November 8th 08, 11:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Floppy drive won't recognise disks - help?

The remaining problem with this DeskPro EN 866 sff is that the floppy
drive won't work. Initially the seller, a refurbishing company, seem
to have not plugged the power connector in (labelled P2?), which I've
now done. I don't see how any of the leads can be in wrong - they
seem to only go one way? I tried to fit another drive I had in a
drawer to see if it was the drive itself but the fit is wrong. The
light lights up, it seems to work _mechanically_, so to speak - tries
to read the disk, but prompts for a disk to be put in, even though
there is one. I've tried reading or formatting from a C: prompt to no
avail.

I don't suppose it really matters, as who uses floppies now, but if
there's something simple I'd like to get it sorted. I have a few
files on some floppies I could make use of.

Otherwise, a really good machine for 30 quid - almost makes me sick I
bought a new laptop.

Thanks.

p.s. Being curious about Linux, if anyone can also let me know if I
can set this machine up to dual-boot, and what is recommended, that
info would be great, here or emailed to poachedeggs at hotmail dot co
dot uk .