Old July 2nd 08, 07:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Peter Allison[_2_]

Default Mystery motherboards - Compaq Deskpro SB - won't boot

As you say, why people like Compaq and Dell do this, just to frustrate
people like you and I!

I guess the P4 24-pin power supply hadn't been invented when these boards
came out!

Fortunately the person who sold me these three boards has been very
understanding so far, now I need to see if they can see my point of view!

Peter

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Peter,

You need the specific Compaq 24-pin power supply intended for this
motherboard.
Why did Compaq use a 24-pin power supply? Why do any of these companies
use
such proprietary hardware? Dell did similar extremely stupid things with
its
Pentium 3 systems, too. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that the pinout
on a
newer P4 24-pin power supply matches this one... Ben Myers

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:25:44 +0100, "Peter Allison"

wrote:

Yes, Ben, that's the one.

I have used a power supply with a 24-pin connector, should that not do the
trick?

Peter

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
. ..
I ***THINK*** I have run into this motherboard. This is a full ATX
board?
Check the power supply connector, counting its "pins". IIRC, it is
24-pin,
rather than the more usual 20-pin ATX connector of that era. I had some
that
used 800MHz Pentium 3 CPUs. The SCSI LED and LOOPBACK jumpers are not
critical.
The pinout from the motherboard to the front panel (on-off momentary
switch,
power-on LED, HDD active LED) is something I cannot remember... Ben
Myers

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:20:35 +0100, "Peter Allison"

wrote:

I have acquired three Socket 370 motherboards, marked 305 Rev0AS21, also
with part numbers 011305-101 and 011306-000.

From what I can tell these are the basis for a Deskpro SB (?) machine,
but
none of them will boot! They have on-board graphics, and a memory card
marked "4Mb AIMM 133Mhz CL3" is provided for the AGP slot.

I have tried various processors and memory sticks - the LEDs on the
board
light when I plug in the PS and trip the 'power on' pins, but no boot!
I notice that some of the pins to the panel are marked SCSI LED and
LOOPBACK - are either of these crucial to the boot sequence?

Any help appreciated!!

Peter Allison
Swindon, UK.