Old November 27th 09, 03:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default Notebook With Pluggable Hard Drive

"W" wrote in message
I'm looking for a notebook with a 17" widescreen monitor that has its hard
drive available as a plug-in module that is easily removed and replaced.
We want to have three separate boot devices: for Windows XP, Windows
Vista, and Windows 7, and it's very important that we be able to quickly
switch between these. We do NOT want a notebook where you have to
unscrew some compartment on the bottom of the computer and then hassle
with removing or installing a drive. We want to be able to just press
a button and have a drive come out, and be able to instantly plug in a
replacement drive, minimum hassle, with the whole exchange done in under
30 seconds.

Does any manufacturer make such a notebook? What is make and model?

Is for quick travel ? or is a docking bay an option ? Compaq made a lot of
them for their stuff. If so check HP/Compaq business website.
A lot of their portables have options that eject with a latch, but I think
they require undoing a screw for the HDD ( MOST users don't commonly swap
HDD- especially on a 17 in pc) , but one captive screw - slide - pop in new
one - slide - rescrew - 30 seconds is doable.

For what you want I think the HDD would be one assembly so make sure that
you take that into account - order not just a "spare drive" but all of the
pieces required. ( the case holding the drive etc) You want to make sure you
have 2 complete spares ( think of deck of cards and the HDD being the
cards - you also need the case to house the HDD (cards), internal
connectors etc)
Good luck.

A good resource is for info is
http://www.tomshardware.com/search.p...d+Drive+Laptop