Old December 11th 03, 12:42 AM
Joe Donaldson

Default Can I access my external hard drive through 2.0 USB PCI card rather than 1.1 motherboard via DOS?, tryitoz

Have a Compaq machine with 2 built in 1.1 USB ports (on motherboard).
I can boot to DOS with a Win 98 DOS boot disk. This allows me to
access all Fat 32 files on my hard drives.
I have an ASPI driver that allows me to access my USB ports (external
hard drive) while in DOS mode.

Can the 520 product be accessed while in DOS mode?

Should I disable my USB support in my CMOS?This is so that it disables
1.1 USB ports but hopefully will allow access to your 2,0 USB PCI card
and associated drivers.

I have been told that in some instances you MUST not disable the USB
support of the computer even if you add a 2.0 card.
But then I was told if you boot to DOS, then the system will recognize
the first USB ports (1.1) on motherboard and not the PCI card USB 2.0
ports.

Why am I asking this? I have a removable/external 2.0 USB hard drive
connected to a 1.1 USB port. I want to have it run at 2.0 speed. I
must be able to access this under DOS for disaster recovery in the
event I cannot boot to Windows. This is critical. In this manner I can
use Symantec Ghost to restore my data to my internal hard drives.

I currently can do this with my 1.1 ports under DOS but not sure this
will hold true with a PCI card.

Thanks so much
Peter