Old January 15th 08, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Computer will not start

On Jan 14, 8:59 pm, "Jan Alter" wrote:
wrote in message

I did not build this computer ... but I am trying to fix it. The
computer is a custom build.

I have an Altec SLK1650 case. I am trying to track down a problem.
If I can get the computer to start the computer works fine. When I
press the button to start the computer it will make the appropriate
sounds but within 1 second the computer dies. If I press the start
button repeatedly it will act like it is going to start for
progressively longer times until it finally it continues running. At
this point the operating system is not running but the fans are
running. I then push the reset button and then the computer start
starts normally. I replaced the power supply (350W) with a 450W but
that did not help. At this point the computer will not start at
all. If I hold the reset button in and press the start button the
computer will sound like it is running but will not boot. When I
release the reset button the computer dies. Just wondering if it
might have something to do with the start or reset buttons. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

What you described at the beginning sounded like a classic case of bad caps
in a PS and so changing the PS would be the first suggestion from at least
my view. Was the PS you installed (450 W) a known good PS?
Additionally what you're describing with the reset switch sounds odd.
Possibly there is a problem with the switch itself, but you can easily test
that by simply pulling off the two prong reset connector from the mb and try
restarting it. Additionally you could check the power switch by pulling off
the two prong connector (at the same connector block as the reset switch)
and carefully shorting the two prongs with the tip of a screwdriver to see
if the computer will then start.
--
Jan Alter

or

Thanks in advance for the help ... Michael

I actually sent a message asking for suggestions from Altec and they
responded quickly. They suggested that I pull the start button cord
from the motherboard and replace it with the reset cord. I did and
the computer exhibited the same symptoms.... Michael