Old October 28th 05, 04:52 AM
Mark

Default Presario 2100 broken power connector

BillyBA wrote:
I got a Service Manual and have the laptop apart and removed the broken
part. I even have a photo of the broken part but no part number to
search on. Does anyone know where I can find an 'AC Adapter Jack' (aka.
Power Supply Jack) for a Compaq Presario 2100US, US Product# DB954A, HP
S# CN30221049, 266MHz DDR SDRAM. Thanx in advance.

Wow -- you're clearly determined! To the extent that I helped get you
into this, let's see if I can help you get through it successfully.

The most fertile place for these parts appears to be on Ebay. A search
there for "Compaq 2100 power jack" (minus the quotes) turned up a
surprising number of sources. It looks like 6 or 7 dollars will get one
shipped to you. I don't have a favorite vendor to recommend (my jack
was reusable), but several sellers appear to have good pictures, high
user feedback ratings, and reasonable prices. It appears that various
flavors of 2100's used slightly different jacks, so compare the
"footprints" needed closely! One vendor listed in bold print the
models (2100US for one) in which he'd used a specific jack, which was
attractive. Take a look.

As for installation itself: One of the problems is that the jack is
mostly retained by the solder connections themselves. Solder is a
comparatively soft metal compound, and eventually the mechanical
fatigue from plug stresses causes the solder connections to fracture.
Mine apparently had a dab of adhesive applied under the jack when it
was originally installed, but it had never adhered to the PC board. (I
believe this was due to the flux and solder-mask material on the
board.) Before mounting and soldering the jack back in place, I used a
hobby knife (or scalpel, razor blade, etc.) to scrape clean the
non-electrical area right under the jack so that the fiberglass was
more directly exposed... no gouging, just roughed up a bit and without
the sheen that was present on the surface before. I cleaned the area
with alcohol also. (Obviously, if your board has little circuit traces
running right there, don't scrape; but it would be unusual for them
to be found there.) I used a dab of 10-minute epoxy under the jack to
help retain it, which still seems to be working. (I don't recommend
"super glue" here, as it is too hard to keep it only where you want
it, and it doesn't "fill" as well.)

Proceed carefully, don't skip any screws during reassembly, and you
will succeed. Good luck (and post how it went)!