Old October 18th 05, 12:37 AM
Mark

Default Presario 2100 broken power connector

BillyBA wrote:
The 'power connector' of my laptop (Compaq Presario 2100US) is broken
off inside the case. The male jack that you plug the power supply into
in the back of the machine is now inside the machine broken off the
motherboard. So there is not way to recharge the battery or get any
kind of power. I was talking one of my harware buddies and he told me
about a bunch of options:

- buy another power connector, take the laptop apart, unsolder the
broken connector from the motherboard, solder the new connector onto
the motherboard, then put the laptop back together.

This first suggestion would be my top choice (least expense if all goes
well), but it's not for everyone. The question is who should do the
work, which should be someone already comfortable (and successful) with
electronic equipment, and who is better known for soldering and
tweezers than hammer-and-tongs! Fully disassembling one's laptop is
definitely a heart-in-the-throat technical adventure, and should
probably not be one's very first... but it's a possibility.

- buy a new motherboard. Take the laptop apart, replace the
motherboard, then figure out to upgrade the new bios with all the
serial number information that is in the old bios.

It probably doesn't call for a new motherboard, so I'd try to avoid
that expense. Last choice.

- take it back to local computer store chain I bought it at to be
repaired.

A local service place should at least be able to give you an accurate
estimate on the repair beforehand, based on the assumption that the
motherboard itself is undamaged (which is probably the case). It'll
be 90% assembly/disassembly work, so they should already know how long
it takes them. Ask around a bit in addition to the store, who may have
to "send it out" and charge you for an estimate that another place may
know from prior experience when asked directly.

- send it to HP/Compaq to be repaired.

Factory service is a possibility, but they're more likely to quote
replacing the motherboard as a matter of policy rather than dealing
with the uncertainties of component-level repair, however simple it may
be. If shipping expenses are involved this is another minus, but I'd
still price them; no doubt they can just "look it up".

- or cheat and buy a port replicator/docking station and don't bother
fixing the broken connector.

This is a clever alternative I hadn't thought of. You'd have to
decide on the expense versus nuisance value of having something that
large serve as your charger/supply! If you'd kind of like a dock
anyway, at least you'd get something tangible for your expense. I see
this as a creative second choice. HOWEVER, if the battery jack has come
off the board entirely (take a peek through the hole), you should
definitely pursue repair instead. Loose parts seem to eventually land
in places where they cause the maximum possible damage, and then you'd
have a dock for a smoked laptop. (Perhaps you could disassemble it
enough to retrive the loose jack?)

Can you think of any more options or reccomend which of the options
outlined looks good to you.

I'd say you got a good list of options. It really comes down to
expense. How much to spend? How much to risk? If you elect to try it
yourself in some way (perhaps with the assistance of your hardware
guy?), I see that the Compaq website has a downloadable "Maintenance
and Service Guide" manual that has good disassembly instructions for
your model. I took this approach successfully myself, but my Compaq is
a lot older. Good luck!