Old October 20th 10, 10:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick[_7_]

Default Drivers for SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic. (D)w/Dolby Digital 5.1, 64-Bit Win 7 drivers

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:04:44 -0700 (PDT), in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "William
R. Walsh" wrote:

Hi!

That's not a safe assumption about OEM versions of Creative
sound cards. *I ran into this several years ago: I tried to use
Creative's drivers with one of their cards that came with my
computer, and they didn't work.

What card was it--or what model was it most closely related to?

I honestly don't remember: this was on a previous, long-gone computer. Might
have been my first Dell, or maybe one of the Microns from before switching
to Dell.

I vaguely remember the card had an I/O port (serial?, parallel?) that wasn't
on the retail version from Creative.

It's quite possible that the problem doesn't occur these days, but, as I
mentioned, it wasn't just a one-time thing: I've seen mentions of similar
issues a few times over the years.

On this Dell, I didn't get a separate sound card: I don't play games
anymore, and I have a decent stereo when I want music to compute to. So I
just stuck with the sound that came with the motherboard.

--
Nick

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns