Old November 16th 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Default (OT) I suppose everyone noticed that AVG free anti-spyware......

Too true. The traditional brand names in AV software (McAfee, Norton, Trend,
etc) all ignored ad-ware, malware, spyware for too long. Did they fear lawsuits
for detecting and removing this slime? Who knows? But the upshot is that
people sometimes have to run two or three sets of software to make sure that
their systems are not compromised. Of course, Windows' weak security with the
long-time absence of any safeguards has a lot to do with the mess we're in.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:19:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 14, 6:17 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in dual.net...

You appear to be speaking of anti-virus programs. I'm speaking of
anti-SPY
ware programs.

Apologies - I must have been tired :-}

None needed sir.

In fact, due to the increasing number of software security "suites" out
there the line becomes more blurred every day in any event.

Actually I feel the link between viruses, spyware, and malware is so
strong that it is not useful anymore to distinguish among them.
Spyware invites viruses, and like viruses use many of the same methods
of compromizing a system.

The suites aren't responsible for blurring the line. They exist merely
because the line came pre-blurred.