Old May 15th 04, 12:25 AM
David

So with the old HD and zip drive disconnected were you able to boot from the
QR CD and run the quick restore? Are you using the original IDE ribbon cable
that came with the computer and if so, are sure you jumpered your new HD for
cable select (CS)? Most likely it came jumpered as master. The IDE ribbon
cables should all be installed with the red stripe towards pin 1 on the
motherboard and the drives.

For maximum compatability, you should probably also run the ATA mode
switching utility from Seagate to limit your new HD to the maximum mode
supported by your computer. I think ATA/33 on the 7478.

"Steve Byers" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for the reply, but the case grows stranger yet. I was doing
what you suggested, but had the old drive also installed - using the
cable connector as "Drive 1". So, the new drive was connected as
"Drive 0" and the old drive was connected as "Drive 1". When I reboot,
the computer displays a new configuration message and ignores the new
drive - all it "sees" is the old drive. I also got a "Disk Controller
Failure" message on the old drive. After that, all that can be read on
the drive is the DOS level entries - and only part of that
information. It is reading what was formerly on "Drive C" but none of
"Drive D" (the Compaq "Restore" logical drive).

When I disconnect the cable to the old drive, all is ok with the new
drive. I had put the old drive into the bay where I had an internal
Zip Drive. When I tried putting the Zip Drive back in (connected as
Drive 1) the system tried to boot from that! Is something connected
wrong? Did I not put the cables back on to the mother board as they
should be? With the only drive being the new drive, and connected to
the cable connector as "Drive 0" all is ok.

What am I missing??

Thanks for everyone's help!

Steve

"David" wrote in message

nk.net...
The Quick Restore shouldn't have a problem with your new HD. Remove the

old
drive and be sure the new HD is jumpered for cable select and you use

the
connector on the end of the IDE ribbon cable. You're booting the

computer
with the QR CD right? You don't need to prep the new drive at all. The

QR
will wipe out anything that's on it.

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I

had
gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent, and

bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive,

whereas
the
factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.

I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs

that
came with the computer could be used to set everything back up. That

does
not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the look for

Drive
"N"
and the set up aborts. From what I can see the Autoexec file on the CD

sets
a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to read files out of that

directory,
but since the new drive has none of that on it - I am stuck.

I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc

drive.
That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq

Support
and
after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed to purchase

the
hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR discs made for the

larger
drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate CD and sure don't have

the
other software on the QR discs.

My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive,

like
hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.

I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of

and
D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs will

work.
could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But that is only

my
theory and so far I have not been right too often about this. LOL

I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new

drive
that is larger than the factory installed drive.

Thanks!

Steve