Old October 27th 18, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

Default Can I install XP on a Lenovo T410s

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 23:36:25 -0400, Paul
wrote:

I tried to install WinXP on my newer machine. When
the BIOS has the SATA port set to "AHCI mode", I need
the "f6flp32.zip" package which has an AHCI/RAID driver
in it. You put the contents (unzip) onto a floppy diskette
and offer that to the OS when the "Press F6" prompt comes up
during WinXP install.

Or you can slipstream the driver and SP3 into an install CD
using Nlite. Diskette readers are rather rare on laptops.

Without the AHCI driver, the install is dead in the water.
It can't talk to the disk drive, without a driver.

Now, if I go to the BIOS and set the chipset to "IDE mode",
the WinXP CD has an in-box driver for IDE mode. Now, it
just works.

Or that.

A good BIOS offers all these options (IDE, AHCI, RAID).
IDE is good for WinXP (least hassle). The others would work
with W7 or W10.

Having just the disk driver, is enough to kick off
the installation. But, it doesn't finish the install for
you. You need a video card driver for the laptop.

Is there a video card driver for the T410 on the web page, for WinXP ?

Where is that driver coming from ? If it's not on the web
page at Dell, then you'll be doing a *lot* of research
and looking under rocks.

You might well install WinXP, and be staring forever at a
640x480 screen with big blocky letters and no acceleration.
With no video driver, you'll be stuck in VESA mode.

Now, off to the T410 page and check for drivers... Oops.

https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/

Always go for "stable" or "tested". You might get a hiccup,
but there's an "undo" option.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004