Old January 3rd 09, 11:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default 20 Pin ATX Tester

On Jan 3, 8:55*am, wrote:
All I can add...I had a PC shop owner test the one I suspected
(ruptured electolytic) and it tested good with all idiot lights on!

That misinformation is typical of power supply testers. Three
conditions exist. Definitively good, definitively bad, and unknown.
A power supply tester can only identify a power supply as definitively
bad or unknown. For the same money, a tool that also has numerous
other purposes (multimeter) can determine all three states.

Meanwhile, any standard power supply must never damage a motherboard
or peripherals. And a motherboard must never damage a power supply.
Best way to test a power supply is with it connected to the computer.
IOW don't disconnect anything and get numbers from the multimeter.

It is not just a power supply. It is a power supply 'system'.
Unlike a tester, numbers from a multimeter can even identify in
minutes other problems such as failure of the power supply controller.

Testers are popular where one fears numbers. For a useful answer
(not using junk science reasoning), numbers are essential. A
multimeter provides numbers so that significant and useful information
can move the entire supply 'system' from unknown to either good or bad
- without doubts. A tester cannot do that. Same multimeter works for
20 pin ATX connectors, 24 pin connectors, future power supplies, and
so many other solutions such as household wiring, electrical
appliances, and automobile problems.