Old February 26th 08, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pcbldrNinetyEight

Default New Questions About My New SATA DVD Birner

gecko wrote in
:

As I indicated in my earlier posts, I mistakenly bought a SATA DVD
burner drive instead of a PATA drive. Anyway, I had to buy some
cables to hook it up. It is now working.

But I now have two more questions:

1) At the beginning of boot I see a new message I never saw before -
Press TAB key into user window.
I ignored it and there seemed to be no effect.
I tried the tab key and nothing happened - it was if I ignored
it.
So, I am wondering what this is all about.

2) I am surprised to see there is no connection to connect my
speakers (via mobo) up to the drive.

Typically a four conductor cable that carries the analog audio signal
from a CD/DVD player or burner to the MOBO audio in connector. I am very
surprised that your MOBO has no such connector.

Big surprise. To me anyway.
So, I am wondering how the sound is conveyed to my speakers.
Through the SATA connection to the mobo I would guess.

As the other poster indicated you must enable digital audio input since
you have no analog signal. This signal is carried to your MOBO through
the SATA data cable (or IDE if so equipped). With a typical setup you
could choose either for your audio input.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight