Old December 2nd 17, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Case issue

Nil wrote:

I'm into my computer build (first since 2006!) that I mentioned in a
case I bought from Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352070

I guess I'm behind the times, because I never even consided the
possibility: there are no front-accessible bays to accommodate an
optical disc reader/writer, which I require. I was looking for a case
that was very insulated and quiet and this looked like a good choice,
so now I'm very surprised and disappointed. I have to decide whether to
return it (probably on my dime) or keep it. So...

- I guess I'd be willing to spring for an external USB drive *IF*...
[a] they burn reliable (I guess I still remember the days when the
computer/OS could barely keep up with a burn and you'd get frequent
crap-outs during a write operation). and [b] are the drives within the
caddys replaceable? In my experience, optical (CD/DVD) burners have a
short lifespan and must be replaced every few years. But internal
drives are cheap, so it was no big deal - I consider them to be
consumable items. So, if I can replace the drives in the USB caddys for
$10 - $15, that's acceptible. If I have to replace the whole caddy for
$20 - $40, that's not so acceptible.

The images at Newegg don't even show a drive cage, so how are you going
to mount the HDDs or SSDs? Are you going with an M.2 SSD drive in a
slot on the mobo? Without any moving drives, yeah, much easier to rate
a case as "quiet". The case might be quiet but where is that big block
of triple-fan cooled radiator going to reside for the water cooling?

Ah, one of the pics show where the SSDs mount. Its a recess in the
backside/rightside panel and in front of the PSU at the bottom. That
explains the lack of a drive cage. Oh oh, better make sure the PSU you
get has bearing types that allow its intake fan to run upside down.
Well, with no drive cage then just how are you going to mount any drives
where there would normally be internal drives with an external access
(in the front of the case)? There's no hardware there to which you can
attach any drives (or any devices with an external front-side, like for
memory card slots, fan controllers, and other non-drive gizmos requiring
front-panel access where would be a drive cage behind).

The case is quiet because it doesn't provide for installation of optical
drives - a noisy device. There's no drive cage! Well, you could go
with an external USB3-attached optical disc drive; see
http://tinyurl.com/y8t3gjp3. Attach it when you need it. Stow in a
desk drawer or leave on the desk or atop the computer case when you're
not using it.

Lucky for you, it is a compact ATX case. The PSU mounts at the bottom.
There could be problems with the PSU's cables reaching all the mobo's
connectors (or drives if this case can house any) with a mid-size case.
Maybe a compact case ensures the PSU cables will be long enough.