Old December 28th 14, 11:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Bad CMOS Battery

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 22:25:12 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have built and bought dozens of PCs over the last 20 years.
I have had at least 3 PCs with this problem, they were LGA775 or LGA1156
boards, but different makes. The battery would go flat after a few months.
So eventually it would boot up and say I have lost my settings,
hit FX to load failsafe defaults and continue or something like that.
I replaced with known new good batteries and they expired too.
Yet these same boards had no other flaws at all.
So I am puzzled what sort of fault causes this.

Had, once, a subbrand newer-name MB that would simply lose it's CMOS
settings regardless the battery. Either of my Gigabytes AMD/Intel 775
are both flawless or near so after years and years solid running. Then
for a Gigabyte it would nothing short of scandalous to expect anything
worse. Before Gigabyte I ran for a long time with Asus, now no longer
a fair value consideration and among the most expensive. Before that,
MSI, which interestingly has made something of a competitive comeback
after nearly fading out.

Stick to the best and there's no really no reason to have to deal with
any of that nonsense.