Old October 12th 07, 04:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gary Tait

Default Laser vs. Ink

"Rich, N9DKO" rk911 at yahoo dot com wrote in
:

prior to the 4Plus i had an HP DJ500. the main problem was that the
ink nozzles would become clogged or dry out due to infrequent use.
when this happened i was able to occasionally re-hab the cartridge
back into service but more often than not i had to replace the cart.

question: am i going to run into the same sort of problem with
today's inkjets? i sometimes go for weeks without printing anything

Yes. Moreso likely with the finer nozzels these days.

question: when i print a photo i'd like the quality of the print to
approach commercial photo finishing quality...good enough to frame,
give to family, etc. am i going to get that kind of quality from a
color laser or must i stick with ink to achieve that goal or are they
about equal?

If you aren't printing a lot of photos, and want near commercial
quality, then have them printed by such printing outlets.
I don't think color lasers will approach that, or even inkjet for
photos.

question: do the MF printers produce good, clean copies? is there a
difference in copy quality between ink and laser?

The printers/scanners get pretty fine these days. It will be a digital
copy, rather than an optical copy the copier does though.

the function i'll end up using most would be the scanner. i have a
lot of personal documents that i'd like to digitize in order to
eliminate paper clutter. most of these documents are text only but
i'd also like to scan in my collection of 2x2 color slides as well as
a lot of color and B&W prints.

question: what sort of resolution minimums should i be looking for in
the scan function? any other things to watch for?

I'd hire that out, perhaps (the slides that is, to somebody that has a
purpose built slide scanner)

appreciate any and all thoughts on this as well as individual MF
printer recommendations.

73,
rich, n9dko