Old September 2nd 05, 09:01 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
wrote:
This is a DVD-ROM I've been using for the better part of 2 years. The last
6 months, it has been going downhill. It has difficulty recognizing a CD.
Frequently it will fail to see the CD until it times out. When that
happens, of course, I can't play the CD; I have to use my burner. Also,
it's taking longer and longer to rip a CD--when it does recognize it. It
used to rip at 40x. Now I'm lucky to get it to rip at 15x, and it has much
more trouble with minor glitches.

Is it time for a funeral, or do these symptoms suggest an easy fix?

Try cleaning the lens with compressed air. Lite-On DVD-ROM drives are $20
at flea markets and dealers like newegg.com; it's easier to replace it
than futz with a failing 2-year old drive.