Old December 10th 19, 10:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

Default “Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security Essentials”

David wrote:
On 10/12/2019 20:54, Shadow wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:42:26 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security
Essentials”

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ssentials.html

“When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security Essentials
software.”

Ok, this is not good. Microsoft is playing hardball here.

It'll just boost the sale/usage of "compatible with Win 7"
AVs.

I am not impressed with any of the other antivirus products.

Kaspersky is usually top in detection. Just ahead of
BitDefender.
Plus with Kaspersky you have the option to turn off sending
all your Internet activity/unknown files to headquarters.
Even so, I haven't used a resident AV for ages (5 years?)
*It's not difficult to avoid malware*.
[]'s

That's bullsh*t!

If you don't use an anti-virus software programme with Microsoft Windows
(before Windows 10) then you won't ever KNOW that your computer is free
from malware.

If your computer DOES have malware, and you attempt to download the
Kaspersky Rescue Disk from here https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/krd18

You may end up being redirected to a 'spoof' Kaspersky site and be
served with a 'doctored' Rescue Disk! You will THINK your machine is
clean when, in fact, it remains infected!

HTH

1) GOTO Public Library.
2) Download Kaspersky.
3) Burn CD.