Old December 3rd 17, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Default friend needs new laptop, recommendations? SOLVED

On 12/2/2017 4:10 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 11/28/2017 7:42 PM, Mike S wrote:
My buddy needs a new laptop, his is over 6 yrs old, runs out of RAM
and slows down often, and crashes when more than 2GB RAM is installed!
A computer shop spent 2 hrs with him trying to install more RAM, then
get it working again when it crashed each time. Due to its age we
think it's smart to get a new computer and sort out the RAM issue
later, or just use it as a backup with enough s/w removed that it's
still usable.

I found this - looks like a decent, affordable machine, to get him
through the next 5 yrs.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Insp...Drive/54906451

He doesn't do muchÂ* more than email (Outlook), browse the web, save
tons of pictures, and do a little Photoshop (CS2 or higher).

I've never bought anything at Walmart before, so I don't know if that
is in itself an issue, or if the machine itself is good. It looks like
good speed for the price, and I wanted to get one with enough RAM that
it is not an issue in future. Do I need to be concerned about buying
h/w from Walmart? And are there better deals in roughly this price
range? Money is definitely an issue.

TIA,
Mike

This any help?

https://www.consumerreports.org/lapt...r-500-or-less/

Thank you for the page John, he told me he just bought a Costco w10 box
and I'm going to help him set it up soon. Costco has a 90 day return
policy which I think is quite generous, and the box has a 2 yr full
warranty, so once we get it set up he can give it a good workout and see
if it meets his needs. I'm marking this solved, thanks again.