Old February 8th 07, 02:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
KR

Default Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What case should I buy?

On Feb 6, 6:13 pm, "k" wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

it is

you can use some of the micro-atx boards by Eden and others that are
about 1 ghz, these arent hard to make fanless, and also they draw such
small power, the power supply probably wouldnt need a fan too.
However they are probably too slow for most people these days.

if you wanted to convert a standard basic PC you would need a
substantial amount of aluminium heatsink,

When you think about it, just about every watt that goes into a PC
turns into heat, so if you are drawing about 300w, then probably 290
is going up in heat.

I would estimate that you would need a large size computer case, with
every vertical outside surface made of finned aluminuim which would
have to be well thermally bonded to the hot components (ie processor
and possibly other hot M'board IC's, hard drive, power supply
heatsinks* etc)

(*Warning - the heatsinks inside ANY switchmode power supply are very
likely to be live, at about 350v DC, and potentially quite lethal to
the touch, even with the power off and these should NEVER be modified,
or connected to a computer case unless you know exactly what you are
doing. DO NOT even open one unless you know what you are doing and the
safety procedures.)

If you went the expense and effort of building such a case, I would
advise also that you have backup fans to come on if overheating
occurs, and that there are emergency shutdown systems in place. The
case would have to be well ventilated with nothing beside it or on top
and airflow around it would have to be generous.