Old February 1st 07, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default Hard drive performance - how to measure

Scott wrote:

Hi, I'm working on a new computer that I will mainly use for
personal stuff, but I'll also be doing some database work that
requires high storage performance.

It shouldnt if its properly designed.

Wrong if you're working on star schema dimensional models, where I
need to touch hundreds of thousands to millions of records to
satisfy a query, instead of just touching a few at a time like an
OLTP system.

What matters much more is the database performance.

Even assuming that's true, hard drive performance is relevant and
Scott's database performance might already be optimal.

Obviously. If I had all the free time in the world, I could test
everything thoroughly and come up with the 100% best solution.
Since I do not have all the free time in the world, I came to this
group for some helpful advice.

Don't take it personally. Rod speed is a pathologically insulting
regular troll in whatever group he happens to be in. Sometimes he
provides good advice, but he completely refuses to accept even
gentle correction when he's wrong.

Since you are either unwilling or unable to provide that, why
exactly did you respond to my post?