Old April 18th 13, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Doug McIntyre

Default Why are PC sales declining ? (Skybuck thoughts on it too)

"Skybuck Flying" writes:
Question is: why are PC sales declining ?:

1. Lack of demanding games ? (probably not)
2. Lack of good games ? (maybe)
3. Windows 8 sucks ? (bad reason, can use windows 7 as alternative)
4. Sick of overheat and associated problems ? (maybe... I am surely sick of
it )
5. Mobile/phones/tablets (I dont believe that... PC/laptop still better for
many tasks... though some decline is to be expected)

What are your thoughts on the decline ?

Unlike in the past, where a 3-4 year old computer was rapidly
outclassed by new hardware, and the new OSes drove upgrade cycles, the
latest OS refresh cycle from Microsoft actually requires less resources,
and the computing power of even a 5 year old computer is perfectly
adequate for most users. Swap out the older hard drive with a new one,
or even a hybrid or SSD, and a 5 year old computer will feel as fast
as the newest ones on the shelf. At least the average (ie. 90%) of
customers would be unable to tell.

Plus #5 on your list. Many users are getting by for their needs off
their tablet/smartphone, and having to turn on a computer just to
check email and take 5 minutes booting whereas you can use your
smartphone to get email in seconds is a bonus.