Old May 24th 18, 04:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

Default "The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"

On Wed, 23 May 2018 21:24:27 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:
Helium is a LIMITED resource. Depletion is estimated in about 25
years.

There might be more than expected, because it can form compounds under
extreme pressure.

It can't form chemical bonds, but compounds without bonds.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ird-compounds/

All you have to do is drill to the center of the earth.

The cost of which to reach depths of sufficient pressure to have capture
helium atoms would be extremely expensive raising the price of helium
beyond the financial reach of anyone. There is what can be done. There
is what is achievable. And there's what is affordable. Are you going
to buy a helium-filled 1 TB drive that costs 6 million dollars?

I'd try to wait for it to go on sale. ;-)
I'd hate to blow most of my retirement account on a single drive.