Old July 17th 07, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes Baby

Default Western Digital 500gb problem

wrote in message
ups.com...
Both BIOSes are up to date. And looking through the update information
neither company provides updates specifically to address 48bit data
transfer or large hard drives. Could it be a problem with the ribbon
cables? I'm really quite stumped about why the 240 and 200 Gb drives
work, and the larger drives don't.

I remember using a zero write program from a linux disk, and only then
was I able to "see" the Maxtor's full 400Gb. Unfortunately I was a
klutz at using the program and couldn't figure out how to fix my
problem. Can't remember what it was called either.

yes I believe you need the 80 way ribbon cable.