Old March 25th 07, 06:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Mark Hahn

Default Which of the newer cpu's runs the coldest?

I need to put together a 1U file server. I would like to
know which of the newer chips runs the coldest because

what you're looking for is actually a system with agressive
power-saving features, commonly found on desktop systems.
_less_ commonly found on server systems. since filserving is
not very intensive at all, either a core2 or recent ath64
will do fine.

that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

no - the norm is not to put fans on the cpus at all, but rather
engineer decent airflow through the case and use substantial
passive heatsinks on the cpus.

regards, mark hahn.