Old February 2nd 16, 03:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Default Using an old dual CPU server as a gaming PC?

Paul wrote:

wrote:

Xeon CPUs are used in high performance servers and in high
performance desktops. Usually the latter one should have a high
performance graphics adapter too while no one would spend much money
on a server's graphics adapter. So you might want to look for a used
high performance desktop.

He has the system in hand, so is going to make it work. U can hear the
Dremel grinding on the chassis now... :-)

I was close to jumping off a cliff. But as it happens you were right in
a prior reply when you said that was a bad motherboard choice. The
specifications on Intel's website confused me. I have seen lots of
pictures of the S5520UR and obviously it has no PCIe slots. And can't
find any adapter.

As mentioned in a prior post, a dual socket LGA 771 system could do.
Apparently it uses quad channels for memory. But I want the six memory
channels and access to newer CPUs provided by the LGA 1366.