Old January 3rd 04, 10:49 PM
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
Windows XP Home (SP1)
I originally had and still have a 15 GB HD, using NTFS,
which had the OS and everything else on it.

I just installed a Maxtor 80 GB DiamondMax Plus 9 Model 6Y080P0

,which
has a 5 MB Buffer, configured (with the jumpers on the back) as a

slave.
It shows up Computer Management as Healthy and Online using NTFS. I
named it Grape (E. I'm using fruit names nowadays.

Since the new drive is faster than the old, I want to move the OS to

it.
So how do I go about doing that?

The new drive came with the MaxBlast 3 app. The Maxtor guy on the

phone
said I could use that to move the OS, but I'm not clear how. It has

copy function, but then how do I get the computer to know the OS is

now
on E instead of C?

- tomcas -
It will ask you.

- Nehmo -
It didn't. I already described what happened in another post in this
thread, but everybody doesn't read every post, and I really want to get
this question answered, so here it is again:

I shut down unplugged the ribbon (IDE interface cable) from the old
drive restarted after the usual box that appeared that lists some
things about the computer (what is this box called, incidentally?) a
message appeared: No Operating System Found. (I'm not sure if that was
the exact wording.)

- Nehmo -
I didn't use MaxBlast to set up the drive. I just use Computer
Management.
So how do I move the OS from the old HD to the new?

- tomcas -
I'd use the maxblast. Read and print the readme file if you need to.

Avoid
using thier formater and overlay if possible.

- Nehmo -
There's no readme file, but after you choose a model number, it prepares
detailed.htm , titled MaxBlast 3 Custom Installation Manual [1]. This
doesn't cover my problem. There is also the help file. And in there is
this:

"When copying from partition to partition, if the destination partition
is a primary partition, Drive-To-Drive copy will make the partition
bootable. This allows you to migrate your operating system to a new
drive even if the drive was not partitioned using MaxBlast 3."
I didn't need to use the formatter or overlay. Actually, I didn't see
those option. Anyway I erlier used the "quick format" form XP's Computer
Management when I installed the new drive.

[1] I noticed that one of the image files detailed.htm uses is a 468 KB
bitmap, newdrive.bmp . This easily could have been a jpg or a gif, using
much less space.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *