Old January 3rd 04, 06:15 PM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:15:07 GMT
"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote:

Windows XP Home (SP1)

I originally had and still have a 15 GB HD, using NTFS,
which had the OS and everything else on it.

I just installed a Maxtor 80 GB DiamondMax Plus 9 Model 6Y080P0 ,which
has a 5 MB Buffer, configured (with the jumpers on the back) as a
slave. It shows up Computer Management as Healthy and Online using
NTFS. I named it Grape (E. I'm using fruit names nowadays.

Since the new drive is faster than the old, I want to move the OS to
it. So how do I go about doing that?

The new drive came with the MaxBlast 3 app. The Maxtor guy on the
phone said I could use that to move the OS, but I'm not clear how. It
has a copy function, but then how do I get the computer to know the OS
is now on E instead of C?

You don't, once you copy it you make the new drive "C". Trying to move
the OS from one drive letter to another is an exercise in futility--you
_can_ do it but by the time you've found all the various places where
you have to change the drive letter you'll find that you might as
well just have reinstalled from scratch.

I didn't use MaxBlast to set up the drive. I just use Computer
Management.

So how do I move the OS from the old HD to the new?

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)