Old August 27th 20, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Magnetronics

Larc wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 01:25:03 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| I'd heard of it and it isn't at all bad for finally doing so, after
| tossing three or four microwaves prior without much thought for a pair
| of rather nice magnets at that. Took about an hour to tear it down in
| designed orderly fashion, probably a lot less with a 5" angle grinder,
| once through the loop, for cold chisel and always deft 2lb. mallet.

You've been through that many microwaves? I bought my first one in about 1974 and am
still on my 35-year-old second one that works as well as it did new (900W Panasonic).

Larc

My first was a Panasonic, lasted 20+ years. Like Flasherly,
heard the "humming sound" that says capacitor shorted, and the
internal fuse blew two seconds later.

Second one is an inverter based one, so doesn't have the
huge transformer and cap that the other style uses. One advantage
of the inverter-based ones, is between 70% power and 100% power,
the power is modulated just by the inverter, so the tube has
power full-time. For lower power settings, it still has
to do the "on for ten seconds, off for twenty seconds" routine.

The second (still-working) microwave is no wonder-pony. The
input entry pad is crap. The wheel for setting the time,
you have to distort it a bit with your fingers to get
it to work. The display on occasion, develops a funny
flickering (hasn't happened for months now). It's the
electromechanical interface from hell. The previous
one, the controls were sweetness and light, and did
not cause any grief the whole time. For this microwave,
I expect the controls will eventually die on it.

And they still can't make a decent lighting solution
for inside the microwave. Still using some ****ty
incandescent bulb.

The rotating tray, has the "ring with three wheels". The
"bearings" failed on one of the wheels (wheel fell off).
I used a bread tie (a source of a tiny piece of plastic,
and made a Circlip out of the bread tie, and this keeps
the third wheel on the support ring for the tray.

But inverter ? Workin good :-) It's like a car engine,
where the quality of the work in there is astounding,
whereas every other bit of the car is pure crap :-)

Paul