Old February 21st 11, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Default Mount IDE hard drive externally

Mint wrote:
I want to add a second hard drive to an older system.

Can I mount it externally if I can find a cable extension?
(It's too cramped inside the HP Pavillion.)

Thanks,
Andy

Sure ya can. Remember the PC had to be secured enough originally to
be shipped and we know how those boxes get treated when being shipped
around the country. I've got a couple of PC's with the hard drives
laying in the bottom. Like others I leave the side off and use a quiet
fan to cool the processor and a quiet power supply. I hate a computer
that sounds like a mini vacuum cleaner. If you happen to use an AM
radio tuned to a distant station near the computer you will probably get
some noise on the radio other wise use some common sense and you should
be just fine. Make sure the printed circuit board on the hard drive
isn't in contact with any metal.... go for it. You can also visit some
2nd hand stores and find an old mid tower case and move the stuff into
it. Some of those old computers were like a Chinese puzzle trying to
figure out how to open them and get to the various drives.