Old February 20th 11, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Mount IDE hard drive externally

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:23:22 GMT,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article , "Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Hmmmm. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to mount a fan on top of
a hard drive. If your drive is running too hot, get a better drive.
My present main computer has 5 internal hard drives, ranging from 400
GB to 1 TB, and two optical drives, and none are running hot.

I've been running a fan in front of my HDDs for the better part of a decade
now. Wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise.

Amen Brotha!!!!

heat kills

Sure, heat does kill drives. But it takes quite a lot to really harm a
drive, and if your case has a decent design with a decent fan, you
should get plenty of cooling.

An example of what a drive will take: I have two Seagate Freeagent Pro
drives, one 1 TB and one 750 GB, connected to two DirecTV HD-DVRs. Now
the drives run 24 hours a day 365 days a year, each continuously
recording 2 separate channels.... additionally when I'm actually
"watching" TV, at least one of those drives is also reading the data
from the disk and sending it to the TV. these drives are totally
enclosed in a plastic case, just a bit larger than the actual drive.
with no fan and no noticable ventillation holes. Both have run this
way for over 2 years.