Old September 19th 10, 09:14 AM posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lostgallifreyan

Default Exceeding maximum absolute voltage

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in news:a6b3aff5-
:

BioStar that said it was OK to exceed 2.3V, even
though they wouldn't guarantee against damage to the memory, and they
said the memory would very likely burn up at 2.4V. I don't think any
of those people at BioStar knew anything -- too pretentious and
authoritarian.

Actually I think they just mean that you're welcome to try. They tell you
what they think is right, but they're quite happy to let people thrash test
at their own expense and blog about it. After all, what better publicity can
there be for them? Beats any possible claim they could make for themselves.
When they tell you they think it will burn up at n.nn volts, they're just
giving you fair warning.

These days, a piece of string is as long as a million tech-happy bloggers say
it is, so long as enough of them form a consensus about it.