Old May 24th 09, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul L

Default Troublesome PC - Power on and Boot Issues

Hi Both Paul # 2 and Kony,

Thank you very much for your replies..

Since I have written this post almost a month has past since I have returned
to my parents house to use this PC.

There are no fan noises since we have cleaned the insides of the PC.

My mum claims that the error is still occuring, but I have powered on the PC
with no issues at the moment. If I do notice anything tonight though I will
proceed to take out my power supply and install an alternate one.

Thanks again..

ciao

- Paul
"kony" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 May 2009 02:25:03 GMT, "Paul L"
wrote:

Hi all,

I have the following issues of my PC.

** Powering (or Turning on) the PC can sometimes require switching the
machine on and off 2 times before reaching the BIOS Screen.

** Bios screen has displayed an error message stating that an incorrect
CPU
speed is being used, BUT I have been running the PC at the same speed for
over 3 years.

** The CPU normally runs at a speed of 1733 MHZ, although I have reduced
it
to 1110 GHZ in order to function.

** Within the past month I have been hearing a noise within the case of my
PC, although I have dusted, vacuumed and used an electronic spray to clean
the insides, and have eliminated this issue.

You need to find the source of that noise. "Probably" a fan
failing that needs replaced, though not necessarily related
to your present problem.

PLEASE NOTE: A solution which I do not want is to buy a new system. I am
quite content with this system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The following are my PC Specifications

Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2100+
Motherboard: ASUS A7V8X
RAM: 512MB Ram

As Paul #2 mentioned, this could be a PSU failure. Examine
the board for capacitor failure, and the PSU too if you feel
comfortable opening it after lettting it sit for a couple
minutes disconnected from AC. If it turns out to be a PSU
failure, get one with a high ratio of 5V:12V current, which
would typically be one of old, last generation design.

I do think it most "likely" that you have a 5V rail
capacitor(s) that have failed in your PSU. If you have the
skill and a soldering iron it may not take long or be
expensive to fix.